Who Are These Teabaggers?
- 18% of Americans say they are tea party supporters.
- 92% of tea partiers are scared that America is moving towards socialism.
- 62% of tea party supporters also support Social Security and Medicare.
- 66% of tea party supporters say they usually or always vote Republican.
- 5% of tea party supporters say they usually or always vote Democratic.
- 73% say they are conservative.
- 41% believe Barack Obama was born in the United States.
- 65% believe the Obama Administration treats blacks and whites equally.
- 56% believe it favors poor people over the middle-class and rich.
- 52% believe too much attention is paid to the problems facing African-Americans.
- 89% are white.
- 59% have a favorable view of Glenn Beck compared to 6% who view him unfavorably. (Among all Americans, the numbers are 18% and 17%.)
- 63% say they get most of their political news from Fox News Channel.
- 66% have a favorable view of Sarah Palin, compared to 12% who view her unfavorably. (Among all Americans, the numbers are 30% and 45%.)
- 24% believe citizens can be justified in taking violent action against the government.
- 52% believe the federal income taxes they pay are fair.
- 84% of the tea partiers believe their views reflect those of most Americans, but only 25% of all Americans agree (remember: 18% are tea partiers).
You can explore more numbers on the NYT’s interactive poll graphic.